Saturday, November 12, 2011

Don't sweat the small stuff

This weeks topic has been a great reminder on how to approach hard times. One of the coping methods I have tried to employ in my everyday crisis (crises) (creiseis) is taking responsibility. I remember what I was younger and working my first job as a server, when things went wrong I would always blame someone or something else. If I forgot to deliver drinks to my tables it was because another server had asked me for help and I forgot all about my tables. If I was late getting my cleaning jobs done it was because someone else had made a big mess that took me longer to clean up. I was always the victim, and frankly I didn't do very well at that job. However, from that experience I learned the value of responsibility. Once I got to college I was tempted to use the old standby excuses like "I didn't have enough time" or "I totally forgot", as a way to justify why I hadn't gotten homework done. True, as students we sometimes are pressed for time, but I don't think anybody can't even manage to find the time to read a ten minute long paper. Its all how we percieve things. Once I understood that I was playing the victim and therefore making myself unable to progress at all, I chose to take accountability for everything that happened to me. By doing that I have been able to be more involved in my life and decisions, fully knowing what the consequences will be. I know that if we strive to use good coping skills in our every day lives, as well as times of crisis, we will be able to make it through more safely as families.

No comments:

Post a Comment