Sunday, October 16, 2011

This week in class we discussed same sex attraction, and for the first time in my life I think I have a theory I believe in about it. After researching the ideas we talked about in class, I turned my focus onto the role I have and will play in the lives of other who are struggling with their sexual orientation. According to the ideas presented in class, people begin to be stigmatized from a young age by their peers, especially if they display gender atypical traits. I am guilty of judging people just by their actions. We all know it is important to avoid judging a book by its cover, but I now realize that in a lot of cases it is crucial to avoid it. In class we talked about how a parent should react to a child with different interests. The greatest thing discussed in class was to love and support your child no matter what. This doesn't mean you have to encourage them to a lifestyle you don't agree with, it means we must let our children know it is okay to be who they are, and having different interests doesn't make them gay. Avoiding labels with them is also something I feel strongly about. I am glad to have learned these valuable things, and hope that I can be a strong parent and raise happy, healthy kids one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment